Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:38:57 +0200
From: "Arvid E. Picciani" <aep@...s.org>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Design for extensible passwd[/shadow?] db support

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:28:33 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> It reads it because ls -l prints the owners of files, and seeing a
> username rather than a number is a lot more informative.

Oh yeah. Now it would be really horrible to have it build up an ldap
connection each time you do "ls". People do that in tight loops in
scripts
and expect it to have semi-guaranteed runtime properties.

Can we at least have compile-time modules for this, so a
system-designer
can choose between different implementations? Maybe then having ldab in
there
directly isn't so bad at all. Hidding away the ldap problems in another
daemon sounds like an attempt to make a one-size-fits-all.

--
Arvid E. Picciani