Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:10:16 +0200
From: "Arvid E. Picciani" <aep@...s.org>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Design for extensible passwd[/shadow?] db support

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 01:38:02 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> What I'm looking for is a way to allow musl to access user data
> that's
> not provided with flat files in /etc,

I'm not sure why user auth is in libc in the first place.
These things change, and a libc is not something i would
see as a layer where system design should happen.

> [..] abominations like RPC. [..]

This assumes RPC is the way it is out of bad intent, while it really
grew out of exactly the same requirements. Things don't get better
by rewriting them without changing the design.

> [..] can query a local daemon [..]

> The first main question is what protocol to use.

well, so use the existing rpc. it fullfills the given requirements,
and is compatible with the stuff out there.

> Alternatively, we could make musl speak an existing query language
> (e.g. LDAP) directly

And pull even more policy into libc? Then everyone has to patch
libc to adapt to the local ldap layout? or another config?

There is a need for the things you want to do here, but i think
this is the line where it's time to go into higher layers.

--
Arvid E. Picciani