Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:51:28 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Priorities for next release?

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:26:35PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> > Did I miss anything? Other additions to the wishlist for next release?
>
> Support for the man pages? This can be simple dir in musl
> (man/man{1,2,...) and "--with-man" option in configure.

Hm? Adding man pages for every interface would be a huge task, well
outside of "finishing touches for the next release". :-) I'd actually
like to find someone interested in writing detailed documentation
(there was a thread about this a while back), but I'm not sure man
pages are the best format; the POSIX man pages suffice as programmers'
documentation for most of the interfaces in musl.

> I'm sending fgetln.c (+my diff), but please check it...
> btw. it based on /usr.bin/make/util.c from OpenBSD:

If we add fgetln, I'd like a much higher quality of implementation.
It's not clear from the past documentation I've read for this function
that it's allowed to use a shared static buffer for all FILEs, and
even if it were, I find that really ugly. Instead, simply returning a
pointer into the FILE's buffer when the whole line is already present
in the buffer, and otherwise allocating a FILE-local buffer for it,
would be a lot nicer. fclose could then check the FILE-local pointer
and free if it it was allocated.

I was under the impression that this was how legacy BSD fgetln worked
in the first place...

Rich

P.S. Just noticed another thing: K&R function arguments are not valid
C99 or C11 and are not okay in musl.