Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 00:31:12 +0800
From: orc <orc@...server.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.3 released

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 01:22:20 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> If I were going to switch to x86_64 cpu, which I will probably do in
> the next few years, x32 would certainly be appealing. Not decided for
> sure, but it seems very nice to get all the important benefits of a
> 64-bit cpu with none of the bloat.

Somewhat bloated, but not so much. Often I see only that massive apps
like web browsers eat much of RAM usually. 2G usually enough for me to
run 3-4 qemu-kvm's and bloated Firefox 12 (eats about 700M usually,
critical was 1G and 100M swap, 1 month of it's uptime). Now I use 4G
(additional 2G is for tmpfs. I like to store large blobs in /tmp often).
I use x86_64 for 3 years without any problems. If Firefox (or any
application of same class, chromium probably) will continue to grow,
then five or seven years will be enough to make x32 be obsoleted
(compared with ff3, it's maximum memusage was 300M, and for 3.6 it was
400M).

(someone can note that 2G is too overkill, but I don't care)