Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:13:54 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: libusb, cups compatability...

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:36:38PM -0700, idunham@...abit.com wrote:
> I've been needing to set up printing, so I went ahead and compiled libusb
> 1.0.9 and cups 1.5.3.

Nice.

> libusb needs the  TIMESPEC_TO_TIMEVAL macro; for the time being, I added
> the definition to libusb (diff attached for Gregor's sake).
> It probably should go in sys/time.h with gnu | bsd visibility instead.
> Other than that, libusb compiles.

Is there a corresponding opposite-direction macro that should be
added?

> CUPS builds for the most part; in ppdc, genstrings segfaults (haven't
> built gdb, can't say what the issue is). make || make would finish,
> though...

This suggests a broken makefile, though most makefiles are broken in
the same regard... Because the program crashed while writing a target,
that target, probably corrupted, exists with a valid timestamp and
causes make to think it doesn't need to be generated the next time
around. Really, any command in make should move the successfully-built
file into place _atomically_ (e.g. first writing to a temp file then
moving it) so this can't happen.

Anyway, to get back on-topic, I suspect the generated file was
incomplete/corrupt and this might be causing problems later down the
line.