Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:06:41 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Draft: musl promo materials

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:45:40 -0700
Charlie Kester <corky1951@...cast.net> wrote:

> It would be good to include a list of apps that have been
> successfully compiled with musl.  No need to list every such app,
> just some representative ones that will help dispel any fears about
> the library's ability to replace glibc in the most common uses.

Somehow, listing compatible applications in PR does not
sound very encouraging, until you can run the really huge
suites/applications (I'm thinking of glibc-linked NVIDIA + Xorg, as was
recently done with a patched version of musl, Google Earth, or
native-built OpenOffice, Firefox/Chromium, the GIMP, Wine, Java, Mesa,
GNOME, KDE, maybe Xfce, R, GRASS, BRL-CAD, FreeCAD, TeX, GDAL...the
list isn't exclusive or a recommendation of the software, but it
should give an idea of the scale I'm talking about). If you say "can
run GCC 4.7, PHP, Xfbdev, Xfce 4.10, SDL, Tomoyo and grsec" (Xfce is in
Snowflake, the rest are the big names from sabotage), that sure seems
to reinforce the impression you're concerned about by virtue of
omission.
I'd prefer to see a link to "further information and compatability" or
some such thing.

Isaac Dunham