Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:47:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: idunham@...abit.com
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl build times

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 06:41:09AM -0700, idunham@...abit.com wrote:
>> I was just playing around, and discovered that redirecting to a file
>> shaves 1 minute, 5 seconds (3:36 vs 2:31) off the build time here (Atom
>> N270 @1.6 GHz; 5400 RPM SATA HDD in legacy mode, ext2; 1 GB DDR2; gcc
>
> You mean directing output to a file versus to a terminal? If so, which
> terminal are you using? That's probably very relevant...
Probably so...
kernel VT with i915 + fbcon.
Now that I think back, I think real textmode was significantly faster.
By the way, this is the same reason "quiet" speeds up boot (my testing
showed ~ 2-3 seconds difference in kernel boot, out of ~8 seconds without
quiet...)
I've noticed similar effects with Xterm & urxvt, though ISTR that urxvt
can be sped up with asynchronous text output (I forget the option,
though).