Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:16:46 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: musl 0.9.2 released

Hi all,

I've just packaged for release musl 0.9.2:

    This release greatly improves compatibility with packages built on
    gnulib and fixes moderate-severity bugs in several stdio
    interfaces, popen, iconv, and wcwidth, and several minor bugs
    elsewhere. Build system now checks for and works around old or
    badly distro-patched gcc/binutils toolchains.

    http://www.aerifal.cx/~dalias/eta/musl/releases/musl-0.9.2.tar.gz

Basically, this release is the culmination of the dialogue with the
gnulib people, plus a few other minor fixes and improvements. The 4
gnulib-specific stdio interfaces were added as a lesser (rather
harmless) evil compared to having them poking at stdio internals, and
the vast majority of the issues with gnulib wanting to replace
function in musl have been fixed, with some bug fixes on both sides,
some relaxation of tests, and minor changes to behavior where gnulib
wanted/needed more than the requirements of C/POSIX.

I left crypt() alone for this release in the interest of not breaking
things at the last minute. Solar's sent a new version which I intend
to look over and rework again to use static const tables rather than
lazy initialization.

A few issues from the gnulib tests/bug reports still remain that I'll
also be following up on soon. Notably, the time conversion routines
are not properly handling overflows.

A few other direction notes for 0.9.3-4: I'd like to import the
initial work by Richard Pennington for porting to mips and ppc, and
work together to flesh it out into complete ports. There's also been
some interest in realtime programming with musl, so I want to
review/audit the locking for priority-related deadlock issues, and if
it seems clean, enable process and thread priority scheduling
interfaces. This would also be a good time to add priority-inheritance
mutex support.