Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:28:02 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: bug-gnulib@....org, Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>,
	Paul Eggert <eggert@...ucla.edu>, Reuben Thomas <rrt@...d.org>
Subject: Re: Re: musl bugs found through gnulib

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:49:44AM +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
> [CCing the musl list]
> Isaac Dunham wrote in
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2012-06/msg00101.html>:
> > musl is designed for standards conformance,
>
> There is a recipe, in <http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Testing/Gnulib>,
> that explains how to use gnulib to check a libc against bugs. When I apply
> this to musl-0.9.1, I get this list of problems:
>
> Replacements of *printf, because of
>   checking whether printf supports infinite 'long double' arguments... no

Fixed. (Not really a bug, but fixed anyway.)

>   checking whether printf supports the 'ls' directive... no

Previously fixed.

>   checking whether printf survives out-of-memory conditions... no

Fixed.

> Replacement of duplocale, because of
>   checking whether duplocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE) works... no

Fixed.

> Replacement of fdopen, because of
>   checking whether fdopen sets errno... no

Not a bug. I believe this was fixed in gnulib.

> Replacement of futimens, because of
>   checking whether futimens works... no

Not a bug; just confusing message.

> Replacement of getcwd, because of
>   checking whether getcwd handles long file names properly... no, but it is partly working
>   checking whether getcwd aborts when 4k < cwd_length < 16k... no

Still open; probably not a bug.

> Replacement of getopt, because of
>   checking whether getopt is POSIX compatible... no

Not a bug.

> Replacement of glob, because of
>   checking for GNU glob interface version 1... no
> (not sure this is a bug or just an incompatibility compared to glibc)

Not supported.

> Replacement of iconv and iconv_open, because of
>   checking whether iconv supports conversion between UTF-8 and UTF-{16,32}{BE,LE}... no

Fixed.

> Replacement of mktime, because of
>   checking for working mktime... no

Still open.

> Replacement of perror, because of
>   checking whether perror matches strerror... no

Fixed.

> Replacement of popen, because of
>   checking whether popen works with closed stdin... no

Fixed.

> Replacement of regex, because of
>   checking for working re_compile_pattern... no

Not supported.

> Replacement of strtod, because of
>   checking whether strtod obeys C99... no

Previously fixed.

> test-duplocale.c:70: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-duplocale

Fixed.

> test-fcntl.c:382: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-fcntl

Pending; intend to fix.

> test-fdatasync.c:50: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-fdatasync

Fixed.

> test-fma2.h:116: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-fma2

Unknown. Asking nsz..

> test-fsync.c:50: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-fsync

Fixed.

> test-fwrite.c:53: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-fwrite

Fixed.

> test-getlogin_r.c:88: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-getlogin_r

Fixed.

> test-grantpt.c:34: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-grantpt

Buggy/useless test.

> test-localeconv.c:41: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-localeconv

Fixed.

> Segmentation fault
> FAIL: test-localename

Still open.

> test-ptsname_r.c:118: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-ptsname_r

Fixed.

> test-strerror_r.c:118: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-strerror_r

Fixed.

> test-wcwidth.c:71: assertion failed
> FAIL: test-wcwidth

Fixed.

> When I compile all of gnulib, I also get a compilation error
> (may be a musl or a gnulib problem, haven't investigated):
> fsusage.c: In function 'get_fs_usage':
> fsusage.c:222:17: error: storage size of 'fsd' isn't known
> fsusage.c:224:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'statfs' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
> fsusage.c:222:17: warning: unused variable 'fsd' [-Wunused-variable]
> make[4]: *** [fsusage.o] Error 1

OK, this is valid fallback code for when statvfs fails, but the
headers required for it have not been included.

Basically the only still-open issues are getcwd, mktime, fma,
localename, so I'll avoid future spam by just addressing them. I've
kept all the Cc's so far, but if this is getting OT for gnulib folks,
I'll be happy to drop the Cc. Just let me know.