Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:47:07 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: links to some info/sources (Heirloom, pcc, ncurses)?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:08:37 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 06:00:27PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:41:36 -0400
> > Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> > I used this patch (not sure if still needed):

> > +#include <signal.h>
> > +
>
> I never had problems here..

I may have tried building w/o _GNU_SOURCE, gotten it further that way,
then switched _GNU_SOURCE on. I don't remember, though--I did that a
long time ago.
> > and these configure options:
> > CC=musl-gcc CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -Os
> > -D_GNU_SOURCE" ./configure --prefix=${PREFIX} --without-cxx
> > --with-fallbacks=xterm #forgot to add --enable-widec
> > (see github.com/idunham/src-musl if you'd like to see my full build
> > scripts...really, it ended up looking a lot like a pkgbuild, but
> > somewhat more awkward)
> > > Indeed, it's worked for a long time, but you need to disable the
> > > C++ interfaces if you don't have a working C++ toolchain. I don't
> > > think the configure script does this by default. Actually ncurses
> > > has A LOT of broken options by default which you need to fix when
> > > running configure; for instance, it does not support UTF-8 unless
> > > you use --enable-wide or something like that.
> > I've always used CXX=false for stuff like this...
> Nice trick. Does it get ncurses to auto-disable the C++ stuff?
I guess not:

cd ../objects;  false -I../c++ -I../include -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DNDEBUG -I. -I../include -I/home/ibid/test/ncurses/include
-c ../c++/cursesf.cc
make[1]: *** [../objects/cursesf.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ibid/misc/src/musl/ncurses-5.9/c++'
make: *** [all] Error 2

There are many other packages that do need that.
(BTW, I think that trick was courtesy of Landley).

> > The --enable-wide is because for some reason, using wchar_t instead
> > of char breaks the ABI.
>
> Yes, but has anybody wanted a non-UTF-8 enabled ncurses in the past 10
> years?? It seems like the default should be to build the one people
> actually want. With the current default, there's a major risk of
> accidentally building the wrong one and building your whole system on
> it, then realizing your system is broken, has the wrong ABI, and needs
> to be rebuilt from scratch...
The solution they had was give it a different library name
(libncursesw)...which does mean that that scenario isn't likely.
> > > This is another issue: the installation paths and filenames. I
> > > don't know the right option to make ncurses install itself as the
> > > default curses library...
> > It doesn't seem to allow installing $sysincdir/curses.h
> Bleh; what do mainstream distros do then?
OK, configure --help lies about its behavior.
Use --includedir=$prefix/include

Anyhow...
re: pcc:
Probably the best thing if you want to link programs with a shared musl
using pcc is to patch & recompile. It hard-codes the dynamic
linker; -dynamic may work. You must rm -r musl/src/complex/ to build
musl with pcc.