Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:00:29 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: installation on bi-arch system

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 04:06:13PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> 2. I had always thought it was CC=gcc CFLAGS=-m32 ...

I think Bruno's command line was more correct. -m32 is essential to
the identity of the compiler and should be in CC.

> 3. ./configure uses
>  $ type "$CC"
>  to detect whether using $CC will work.

Are you sure? type should only be used when CC is not set and
configure is searching for a default compiler..

> Even if $CC did get accepted, gcc -m32 -dumpmachine (how musl detects
> $ARCH) may not give i?86-linux-*, thus failing the configure.

What does it give?

> > As a workaround, I have to create a wrapper script that invokes "gcc
> > -m32 ..." and pass that as CC. This should not be needed.
> See 2. Also note the --target= option (--target=i386 in this case).
> --target=i386 should properly set CFLAGS to include -march=i486 -m32
> (unless otherwise specified in CFLAGS).

Yes, that may be a good idea, although we'll need to test for
accepting -m32. Some gcc versions probably don't support it.

I think having anything before the "$@" will break some oddball gcc
options that need to be first. Can it be after "$@"?