Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:16:09 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: printf POSIX compliance

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 04:04:00PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Reuben Thomas <rrt@...d.org> [2012-06-08 11:34:04 +0100]:
> > I contacted the gnulib maintainers, one of whom replied:
> >
> > "IIRC, gnulib's freadahead use is caused by musl's printf not being
> > posix compliant, causing gnulib to pull in its printf replacement,
> > which doesn't work on musl."
>
> what does freadahead have to do with printf?
> that sounds weird..

I agree. Even if there is a bug in musl causing this stuff to be
pulled in, there seems to be a bug in gnulib as well; why should a
function that pertains only to reading get pulled in by a replacement
for a function that only does writing?

> > It would be nice to sort this out: either musl's printf is not
> > POSIX-compliant, or gnulib's detection of POSIX-compliance is buggy.
>
> so far i haven't seen much code from gnulib that was *not* buggy

Indeed. If nothing else, almost all of it is non-thread-safe...