Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:38:34 +0200
From: Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Call for musl-based distro blurbs

2012/6/7 Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 06:17:15PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> > Openssl needs perl to generate a asm code, so you can generate asm code
> and
> > then use it as a patch and remove perl dependency. Definitely the removal
> > of perl will not be easy... but possible.
>
> Couldn't you just remove the idiotic asm generation and use the C
> code? It's the compiler's job, not the build scrips' job, to generate
> asm, and the compiler probably does a perfectly acceptable job, if not
> a better job...

The problem is to maintain support for future versions. In my view, the
option with generating the asm code is easier and fully compatible with
openssl (code from openssl). By adding own implementations of the crypto
algorithms one can also add his own bugs. With this issue we can ask the
developers of openssl - ask how they see the idea to remove perl from
openssl.

Daniel

Content of type "text/html" skipped