Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 06:59:44 -0500
From: Richard Pennington <rich@...nware.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: A little more progress today with clang/LLVM

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 06:30:15 AM Richard Pennington wrote:
[snip]
> > A couple things I'm _NOT_ happy about in my current system are that
> > the whole alltypes.h gets parsed again and again even (for each header
> > that includes it) even if only a few types are needed each time. One
> > thing I'm considering (but not yet decided on) is dropping it and
> > instead having the build system generate all the headers from
> > templates when musl is built, and put the expanded TYPEDEF templates
> > right in the headers that use them.

One somewhat silly reason that I wouldn't want this: a single ELLCC
build/install supports all the targets. Currently I have a single include
directory with target specific headers in target specific subdirectories, e.g.
include/x86_64/bits/alltypes.h with all the other header files common.

Also, I agree with your previous point that it is nice to go to one place
(alltypes.h) to find the processor specific types. If you make this change, at
least keep alltypes.h for reference. ;-)

-Rich