Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:07:44 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Vision for new platform

* Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2012-05-17 21:06:20 -0400]:
> A mid- to long-term goal I've had on top of musl is putting together
> the basis for an efficient user-oriented embedded/mobile platform, for
> things like netbooks, phones, tablets, etc. Struggling with a Debian
> upgrade and massive breakage of NetworkManager and bluetooth support
> in non-desktop-environment setting over the past few days has had me
> thinking a lot more about how utterly broken the current direction
> freedesktop.org and related projects are taking the "Linux platform"
> is, and also the lack of viable alternatives.

yes

> - network connector
> - media mounter
> - pluggable devices such as: video capture/webcam, audio, printers,
>   scanners, obex/bluetooth file transfer, etc.
> - file/device/application browsing/management

nice
some of these would require lot of work
(i'm thinking about current audio or printing infrastructure..
where every device has different capabilities and thus requires
separate configuration)

> would be fully capable of running and interoperating with existing gui
> *applications* written for X/GNOME/KDE/whatever, but not necessarily
> compatible with any of the system-level junk these environments use.

i wonder if that's possible considering all the tight
interdependency between the system-level junk and
desktop applications