Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:10:36 +0100
From: finkler <finkler@...icinamentis.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: utmpx support

On 04.03.2012 19:18, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 06:41:25PM +0100, finkler wrote:
>
> It's intentional, but if you have a real need for utmp support, I'd be
> willing to hear about it.

Well, I am currently trying to implement new (POSIX) user-space
utilities for Linux, including my own init/login system.
I thought quite a bit about the purpose of utmp(x) myself I admit,
however, I came to the conclusion that even though I know no one who
still uses serial terminals to connect to a machine, connecting through
LAN/Internet is very popular, and it couldn't hurt that an administrator
has the means to easily see who is currently logged in (who).

I agree that utmpx has grown disproportionally and has lots of misuses
which just bloat the code.
But as I said, some method of accessing login information seems sane to
me. And if used with restrain utmpx is quite well suited for this ... I
think.

> Perhaps a better approach would be making a separate small static
> libutmp.a that could be linked by people wanting real utmp support as
> opposed to the stubs.

Certainly, for what it's worth, I hacked up an utmpx implementation.
I hope I didn't make any mistakes (code and standard wise), but the code
size is small, so it should be easily verifiable for another set of eyes
:-).

Regards, and thank you very much for the good work with this lib, it is
really great.

Finkler

View attachment "utmpx.c" of type "text/plain" (1775 bytes)