Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:03:08 +0100
From: aep <aep@...s.org>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: License survey

> Is the LGPL's handling of static linking problematic to you? [...]

The lawyers and suits of a specific fortune 500 i will not name have
sayd: "GPL<3 has sufficient loopholes that its ok to use it in our
propriatary products, the rest we solve with patent suits."
GPL is a way to piss of the nice people and ineffective for the evil
ones. Unless you go for GPL3.

In my opinion LGPL only makes sense if you want to go for dual
licensing, selling the more liberal one for actual money. That's a tiny
bit more complicated (reasigning every contribution, yadda yadda), but
worth it.
Otoh, since i'm probably the only one evaluating musl for comercial
software, not sure if that fits your target audience. If you're 100%
sure you want to continue this as a 'hacker project', go
MIT/BSD/whatever.
The GNU in GNU/Linux is a downhill project anyway. The only prople i
see who can actually create a large FOSS project with musl are the guys
around suckless (stali being one example),
and they're more appealed by BSD then GNU.

Personally I prefer commercial dual licensing with LGPL. LGPL itself is
ok, if you let real lawyers handle it and its exceptions.
It's as ridiciously bloated as every GNU project, often leading to
misinterpretation on either side. Hidden RMS agenda included. Just...
ask a real lawyer.

/s/
Arvid