Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:14:12 +0200
From: Luka Marčetić <paxcoder@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New daily reports - nothing

On 08/14/2011 10:00 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:59:33AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
>> As I see it, what you've got (in varying stages of completeness) is
>> categories 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, and 9, from the project description here:
>>
>> http://openwall.info/wiki/musl/unit-tests
>>
>> Here are the things I would like you to focus on right now, roughly in
>> order of priority:
>> [...]
>> 1. Fixing issues with test validity, like the buffer overflow/heap
>> [...]
>> 2. Documenting the tests you have: what assertions they test. As
>> [...]
>> 3. Cleaning up the build system and source to make sure it builds
>> [...]
>> 4. Finish testing additional areas in the categories you're already
>> [...]
>> 5. Test categories 4 and 5. I think it would be nice to pull in some
> Luka, could you please reply with an estimate on how many hours of
> work you think each of these areas will take you and an intended
> schedule for how and when you plan to accomplish them?
>
> Rich

Hello.
Work required for the above:
1. Depends on what the issues really are. Eg. valgrind is clean on
alloc.c, but it still fails for musl on 64-bit, because I get nothing
allocated following vm_limit. Explicitly putting malloc() after it
works, but doing it via the function fails. It's really hard to debug
child processes (which is how a lot of collections are written), I
should perhaps try Alexander's method. But I really can't say how much
it'll take me - depends on inspiration and help i get from others. It's
been time consuming up until now, but I think I've polished it enough so
I just need to spot this one thing I'm missing and then correction won't
be a problem.
2. I've updated pthread_eintr.c. If there's something you want me to
expound on, let me know. I can try and generate doxygen docs now. Not
sure if we need more user documentation, but I could add a few more
sentences to README just so that people know what to expect when they
run ./cluts etc. (a few hours to setup, and update docs if there are errors)
3. I can make buf.c collection test whether MUSL is defined just as I've
recently have done for pthread_eintr.c. I'd appreciate if someone could
tell me how to add `install-musl` which should add an additional
-DMUSL=1 flag. (this and testing it shouldn't take more than a couple
hours).
4. and 5. Check IRC please about pthread_eintr.c. Also, I'd like to
finish string.c before starting new collections if that's fine with me.
Based on past experience, I believe that rewriting string.c will take me
about three days of intensive work. I can't give you my estimate for
tests 4 and 5 (sprintf and stdio tests), because other than the
"example" given in 4, I don't know what else will need to be tested, and
I don't know how exactly autoconf looks like.

Schedule for the above:
I can do 2 and 3 today, then start working on (either part of nr 5 or)
string.c, and after that, come back to 1. Now I can't commit after
Saturday, but I can still do nr 4, and after that 5 when I have time
(college starts, so maybe not right away).
When I'm done with 2 and 3 today, I can take a look at autoconf, and
perhaps give you an estimate for that.
If you have other suggestions, please let me know soon.
Luka