Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:08:34 +0200
From: Luka Marčetić <paxcoder@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts weekly reports

On 08/03/2011 03:31 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 03:15:15PM +0200, Luka Marčetić wrote:
> Well the question is whether the intended usage, for someone adding
> tests, is to add them by hand or by going back to the json "source"
> file, adding them there, and rebuilding using the Python tool. In this
> case cluts doesn't depend on Python to *run* the tests, but it does
> depend on it to modify or update the tests.

It doesn't, seeing as they can be written by hand. There's nothing
stopping one from modifying C directly. The only problem here is the
discrepancy between json and C, but that doesn't imply python
dependency. In fact it is assumed that C code would need to be modified
sometimes. In such cases, one can generate a single new test with the
generator, and paste the code into the C source file.

>   I'm still confused why
> this can't be done in plain C, with the test parameters in C
> structures that you loop over, much like some of the existing tests
> (e.g. numeric).

It's just a lot of work. The biggest problem C has when applied in
writing unit tests is its inability to use function pointers with
arbitrary number of arguments, and the fact that there's no (dynamic?)
type casting - eg there's no way to pass varying type arguments to say
printf with a correct fmt; once a float, once an int. Those two make for
a load of syntax that like anything but sugar. That's what I'm trying to
generate, instead of having to type it all.

Luka