Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:15:15 +0200
From: Luka Marčetić <paxcoder@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts weekly reports

On 08/03/2011 03:21 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:56:19AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>> Luka -
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 01:04:07AM +0200, Luka M. wrote:
>>> e) Started working on a code generator in python, first to be used o
>>> generate (parts of) temp.c, and later hopefully string.c
>> To me, the dependency of cluts development on Python is a drawback.
>> Wouldn't cpp macros be sufficient?  You can see some use of cpp macros
>> in Rich's libc-testsuite.  I like this approach better than using an
>> external preprocessor not native to C.
> I tend to agree with this.
>
> Rich

Well it's a bit too late to stop now, but I don't think fear is
warranted: Cluts doesn't depend on python because a code generator is
written in it. The generated code is regular C code, which could be
written by hand if one wanted to. A code generator is not a
preprocessor, it is just a handy tool to automate the process of writing
code by hand. My generator takes in a .json file, and out generates most
of the syntactic sugar, loops etc needed for the test collection to
compile and run. That is to say, the generator is used to write the
tests, not to run them.
Luka