Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 21:43:47 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: applications testing

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:19:42AM +0700, JIghtuse wrote:
> So, new thread defining applications for testing with musl.

So far a lot of the testing has focused on bootstrapping a self-hosted
system, e.g. sabotage. This has been a really good stress test for
getting musl to support the many nonstandard interfaces needed by
low-level system utilities, but it's also left a lot of major
functionality untested - especially things like threads, timers,
message queues, SysV IPC, dns lookups, UTF-8/multibyte interfaces,
directory traversal with nftw/scandir/glob, syslog, etc.

Many of the apps that would make use of many of these interfaces are
large interactive GUI applications with too many dependencies (and
indirect dependencies on dynamic loader). However, I think we could
also find a number of good test cases among network daemons which are
likely to have fewer dependencies.

Here are some specific ideas that come to mind:

Bitlbee - network/dns stuff, iconv, plus testing that glib is working
MaraDNS - threads
BIND
vsftpd - might turn up some extra linux extensions we should support
ProFTPd
thttpd
Boa
lighttpd
Apache - don't know if it'll work ok without dynamic loader tho
Postfix
Exim

I suspect you'll find a few more library dependencies in there like
libdbm, glib, etc. which would be an opportunity to test those
libraries against musl a bit too. Note that some of the above servers
I've successfully built and tested somewhat, but I haven't subjected
them to major stress, so hitting them with lots of requests, large
requests, malformed requests, etc. could be useful.

Aside from the above list, I'd be happy to see the results for any
other network daemons you'd like to try, as well as other similar
things like IRC bots/servers. If you can find some other tests for
threads and/or POSIX realtime functionality like timers, message
queues, etc. that would be great too (regardless of whether they're
daemons). With that I'd like to test POSIX asynchronous IO (aio_*)
once it's implemented, but that's one thing still missing.

Hope this provides some good starting points!