Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:04:02 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [compatibility] heirloom tools

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:27:13PM +0200, Valentin Ochs wrote:
> cpio:	needs <sys/mtio.h>
> dd:	needs <sys/mtio.h>

I can add this.. are people *really* still using tape devices? Seems
like 15ยข DVDs would be a lot more cost-effective and faster...

> priocntl:	undefined references to sched_* stuff. I guess that's not been
> 	implemented yet, even if it's in the headers?

For now, musl does not support the POSIX priority scheduling options.
Adding syscall wrappers would be easy, but in many ways would be worse
than the current situation -- if you have realtime/priority scheduling
but your synchronization primitives are not carefully audited to make
sure they give the correct semantics for which thread/process gets the
resource when there's contention, use of nondefault priorities will
result in deadlocks.

A quick fix might be to implement the functions but make them return
errors for all priorities except 0 (the default).

> shl:	needs wordexp() and wordfree()

Wow, something actually uses this function? I have an idea for
implementing it as a shell script passed on the command line to
/bin/sh via exec.

> test:	sed -i 's/S_IREAD/S_IRUSR/g;s/S_IWRITE/S_IWUSR/g;s/S_IEXEC/S_IXUSR/g;' test/test.c test/helper.c

These legacy aliases can be added under _GNU_SOURCE... done.

> 	defs.h needs to include <sys/types.h>
> users:	needs utmpxname()
> who:	needs ut_exit in const struct utmpx (there's a __ut_exit there)

utmpx.h was removed from POSIX 2008, and is now a "nonstandard
header", so I can happily add to it whatever is deemed useful. I'll
just rename __ut_exit to ut_exit.