Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 18:56:58 +0000
From: Patrick Schleizer <adrelanos@...eup.net>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Debian packaging

Solar Designer:
> Do you want to possibly maintain a Debian package of LKRG for others?
> Maybe maintain a debian/ subdirectory in our upstream LKRG tree?

May I suggest comparing your /debian subdirectory with the one that I
created?

https://github.com/Whonix/lkrg/tree/master/debian

...the packaging is pretty stable and well tested by now. Some other
goodies such as working well with VirtualBox, tirdad, other modules,
systemd, Debian lintian --pedantic warning free, no hacks as far as I know.

copyright / license: same as upstream.

(I.e. I don't claim copyright for /debian subdirectory. Consider
copyright of /debian subdirectory assigned to Adam. That is for
simplicity. Also my contribution / lines of code is tiny to the giant
efforts by upstream.)

Would honor me if added to upstream LKRG.

> There's currently a Debian package in Whonix, but there's no intent to
> bring that into Debian proper.

Available for installation on Debian too, but not packages.debian.org
indeed.

> As discussed with Patrick of Whonix, an issue with that is that
> there won't be a way to update to new upstream versions in stable Debian
> branches, so any LKRG bugs would either end up staying intact there or
> would need back-ports of fixes for, which someone would need to work on.

Once in Debian stable (or when testing is "frozen") Debian wants
security fixes only.

Which non-security bug fixes go into Debian stable isn't trivial to
explain. I don't try. While I can't find any cannonball (on website)
statement, there is this mailing list discussion:

Cheers,
Patrick