Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 23:07:47 +0200
From: Adam Zabrocki <pi3@....com.pl>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for 5.7 linux kernel?

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 11:01:24PM +0200, Mikhail Morfikov wrote:
> On 04/06/2020 21:44, Solar Designer wrote:
> >>
> >> What functionality would be affected if CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD was set to off?
> >
> > I guess module unloading would be unsupported, including of LKRG.
> >
> > config MODULE_UNLOAD
> >         bool "Module unloading"
> >         help
> >           Without this option you will not be able to unload any
> >           modules (note that some modules may not be unloadable
> >           anyway), which makes your kernel smaller, faster
> >           and simpler.  If unsure, say Y.
> >
> > It's weird to have the entire kernel configured with module support
> > enabled yet module unloading disabled, though - except maybe for some
> > embedded applications.
> >
> > Alexander
> >

> Actually, according to the kernel config info, it's pretty reasonable, since it
> "makes your kernel ... faster and simpler". I build my kernels without the
> option to unload modules because I compile every needed module into the kernel
> itself, and I don't really think of unloading them later. :) I would even set
> CONFIG_MODULES to off, but many apps rely on some files, which that option
> provides, and the apps don't work well without them. So I only uncheck
> MODULE_UNLOAD. Now I have only one module -- lkrg, so the module loading feature
> is must-have, but still I don't really see any reason why it chould be unloaded.
> The configuration of the module doesn't really change much from one boot to the
> other. So if only the module unloading feature would be unsupported, I think no
> harm is dome, and this could be optional in order to support the
> faster/simpler kernels. :)

Hm... you can use LKRG's feature 'block_module' to lock down that interface if
you wish.
In theory we might work without MODULE_UNLOAD. However, it is very unusual
config and such support will take some research. I can try to keep this in mind
and if I have some more free time I can try to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Adam

--
pi3 (pi3ki31ny) - pi3 (at) itsec pl