Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 15:53:14 +0200
From: Adam Zabrocki <pi3@....com.pl>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LKRG unfit for installation by default in Whonix /
 Kicksecure due to kernel boot console output - usability issue

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:27:43PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:07:48PM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> > I see a lot code duplication there.
>
> FWIW, code duplication is one of my biggest complaints about LKRG code
> quality, and something I think we need to improve (reduce).
>
> In some special cases, Adam reasonably defends some code duplication by
> consideration of attacks on LKRG itself.  But in most cases the code
> duplication is just the way LKRG happens to be currently written, and
> should ideally be avoided, in my opinion.
>
> Alexander

There are a few aspects of that. Majority of the time we have it by purpose in
tasks integrity related functionality, e.g. to avoid generating trivial
ROP-gadgets or other security-related issues (like CPU flags being inlined
etc).
However, entire kINT (CI) integrity routine itself is a mess and need to be
rewritten. However, I do find more urgent / important tasks to work on than
that. However, I want to rewrite this huge and long routine at some point
(it was originally designed like that from the possible
self-encryption and metamorhic reasons - it's a long story).

Thanks,
Adam

--
pi3 (pi3ki31ny) - pi3 (at) itsec pl