Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 13:00:46 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 18.04 - kzalloc() can't allocate memory

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 05:29:40AM +0100, Adam Zabrocki wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 06:56:34PM -0300, Diego M. Vadell wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 December 2018 02:27:23 pm Adam Zabrocki wrote:
> > > kzalloc() might fail if you don't have enough memory. Are you trying to run
> > > LKRG on a VM? If yes you could try to increase allocated memory.
> >
> > It's not a VM. It's my notebook. It has 4Gb of RAM. I tried again after
> > closing firefox, and it was the same outcome.
>
> It's difficult to tell why your memory alocator fails, but kzalloc() shouldn't
> have any problems in normal circumstances. Please try to load the module on
> just booted machine.

That's good advice.  Maybe the problem is memory fragmentation - no
contiguous region that's large enough.  If confirmed, we'll need to
document that and include this advice.  I think it's not a big deal
since for actual use LKRG would in fact need to be loaded on bootup.

> Please also verify if you have correctly configured swap
> partition and if it is enabled. Maybe increase it.

I doubt swap has any relevance here.

Alexander