Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 15:34:02 -0700
From: enh <enh@...gle.com>
To: Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com>
Cc: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: anyone else working on %b?

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 1:55 PM Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com> wrote:

> enh <enh@...gle.com> writes:
>
> > also: thoughts on whether you plan on supporting %B too? (is anyone
> > already using %B for anything else?) in the absence of a
> > counterargument, i'm assuming we should implement %B just for the 0b
> > versus 0B with #?
> > https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2630.pdf
>
> That document suggests that 'B' was used for something else and so
> might not be safe to use here. Anyone know what that might be? I'm not
> sure I'd feel great adding 'b' without knowing whether 'B' should be
> supported as well.

strictly the document says that since ISO C only reserves all
_lowercase_ letters, in theory someone might have used an uppercase
letter. i wasn't able to find a man page admitting to such a thing for
any system i can think of (even weird stuff like inferno!), but i've
separately mailed the author to check that my interpretation is
correct.

tbh, unless there's something shockingly important i'm missing in
terms of interop (and glibc's already weighed in, and i tested macOS,
so -- no offense to anyone else -- that seems unlikely in practical
terms), it feels like it would be a mistake for Android to _not_
support %B.