Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 09:57:54 +0000
From: John Levon <levon@...ementarian.org>
To: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Macro-based advertisement of libc extensions

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 05:18:08PM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> and RTEMS. I didn't have any backup on the proposals and I think they are in
> limbo. Perhaps these would be easy places to start. These seem to be 100%
> identical across Linux, RTEMS, and *BSD and might be nice to have a common
> macro applications can use:
>
> + pthread_getname_np/pthread_setname_np

They are not identical at all. At least:

 - NetBSD pthread_setname_np() takes a format string
 - FreeBSD calls it pthread_set_name_np()
 - Linux (others?) lack PTHREAD_MAX_NAMELEN_NP in favour of a hard-coded
   (very low!) value
 - Linux has the process-name-in-thread-name semantics
 - there are various differences in truncation behaviour

So I don't think this is a good candidate for feature define(s).

regards
john