Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 17:18:08 -0500
From: Joel Sherrill <joel@...ms.org>
To: libc-coord@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Macro-based advertisement of libc extensions

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:58 PM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 01:38:25PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > This is proposal I've mentioned in various settings for a while, but
> > that should be discussed more thoroughly in a proper setting, and
> > libc-coord is the setting I'd been looking to do it in.
> >

> > Proposal:
> >
> > I want to establish a common convention, with participation by
> > multiple (Linux and non-Linux, ideally BSDs and others too) libc
> > implementations, for macros defined by the implementation to advertise
> > nonstandard extensions offered for use by applications.
> >
> > [...]
>
> I think next step from my side to make this more concrete will be
> making a list of extensions musl offers that could be advertised this
> way and candidate names for them. Anyone up for doing the same for
> other implementations?

I have filed issues with the Austin Group to have a few commonly implemented
non-portable pthread extensions considered. They are definitely in Linux,
*BSD,
and RTEMS. I didn't have any backup on the proposals and I think they are in
limbo. Perhaps these would be easy places to start. These seem to be 100%
identical across Linux, RTEMS, and *BSD and might be nice to have a common
macro applications can use:

+ pthread_getname_np/pthread_setname_np
+ pthread_getattr_np

The methods related to pthread cpu affinity for SMP systems are close
between
Linux, *BSD, and RTEMS and might be a second candidate. I think they are
very close except for some odd naming issues like cpuset_t vs cpu_set_t and
some extra methods.

Ultimately, I would really like the FOSS OS community to push POSIX on
these methods. I certainly got nowhere alone. :(

--joel
RTEMS

> Rich

Content of type "text/html" skipped