Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:15:10 +0100
From: Christophe de Dinechin Dupont de Dinechin <cdupontd@...hat.com>
To: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
Cc: Christophe de Dinechin <dinechin@...hat.com>,
 "keescook@...omium.org" <keescook@...omium.org>,
 James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
 Michael Kelley <mikelley@...rosoft.com>,
 "Lange, Jon" <jlange@...rosoft.com>,
 "linux-coco@...ts.linux.dev" <linux-coco@...ts.linux.dev>,
 Kernel Hardening <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Linux guest kernel threat model for Confidential Computing

> On 1 Feb 2023, at 12:01, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@...hat.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 11:52:27AM +0100, Christophe de Dinechin Dupont de Dinechin wrote:

>>> Why are timing attacks by hypervisor on the guest out of scope?
>>
>> Good point.
>>
>> I was thinking that mitigation against timing attacks is the same
>> irrespective of the source of the attack. However, because the HV
>> controls CPU time allocation, there are presumably attacks that
>> are made much easier through the HV. Those should be listed.
>
> Not just that, also because it can and does emulate some devices.
> For example, are disk encryption systems protected against timing of
> disk accesses?
> This is why some people keep saying "forget about emulated devices, require
> passthrough, include devices in the trust zone".

>>> Agree absolutely that's much easier.

>>> Or even just secureboot based root of trust?
>>
>> You mean host secureboot? Or guest?
>>
>> If it’s host, then the problem is detecting malicious tampering with
>> host code (whether it’s kernel or hypervisor).
>
> Host.  Lots of existing systems do this.  As an extreme boot a RO disk,
> limit which packages are allowed.

Is that provable to the guest?

Consider a cloud provider doing that: how do they prove to their guest:

a) What firmware, kernel and kvm they run

b) That what they booted cannot be maliciouly modified, e.g. by a rogue
   device driver installed by a rogue sysadmin

My understanding is that SecureBoot is only intended to prevent non-verified
operating systems from booting. So the proof is given to the cloud provider,
and the proof is that the system boots successfully.

After that, I think all bets are off. SecureBoot does little AFAICT
to prevent malicious modifications of the running system by someone with
root access, including deliberately loading a malicious kvm-zilog.ko

It does not mean it cannot be done, just that I don’t think we
have the tools at the moment.