Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 19:20:24 +0100
From: Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...onical.com>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>
Cc: Kernel Hardening <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Jann Horn <jann@...jh.net>
Subject: Re: forkat(int pidfd), execveat(int pidfd), other awful things?

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 06:47:17PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hi Andy & others,
>
> I was reversing some NT stuff recently and marveling over how wild and
> crazy things are over in Windows-land. A few things related to process
> creation caught my interest:
>
> - It's possible to create a new process with an *arbitrary parent
> process*, which means it'll then inherit various things like handles
> and security attributes and tokens from that new parent process.
>
> - It's possible to create a new process with the memory space handle
> of a different process. Consider this on Linux, and you have some
> abomination like `forkat(int pidfd)`.
>
> The big question is "why!?" At first I was just amused by its presence
> in NT. Everything is an object and you can usually freely mix and
> match things, and it's very flexible, which is cool. But this is NT,
> not Linux.
>
> Jann and I were discussing, though, that maybe some variant of these
> features might be useful to get rid of setuid executables. Imagine
> something like `systemd-sudod`, forked off of PID 1 very early.
> Subsequently all new processes on the system run with
> PR_SET_NO_NEW_PRIVS or similar policies to prevent non-root->root
> transition. Then, if you want to transition, you ask systemd-sudod (or
> polkitd, or whatever else you have in mind) to make you a new process,
> and it then does the various policy checks, and executes a new process
> for you as the parent of the requesting process.
>
> So how would that work? Well, executing processes with arbitrary
> parents would be part of it, as above. But we'd probably want to more
> carefully control that new process. Which chroot is it in? How do
> cgroups work? And so on. And ultimately this design leads to something
> like ZwCreateProcess, where you have several arguments, each to a
> handle to some part of the new process state, or null to be inherited
> from its parent.
>
> int execve_parent(int parent_pidfd, int root_dirfd, int cgroup_fd, int
> namespace_fd, const char *pathname, char *const argv[], char *const
> envp[]);
>
> One could imagine this growing pretty unwieldy. There's also this
> other design aspect of Linux that's worth considering. Namespaces and
> other process-inherited resources are generally hierarchical, with
> children getting the resource from their parent. This makes sense and
> is simple to conceptualize. Everytime we add a new thing_fd as a
> pointer to one of these resources, and allow it to be used outside of
> that hierarchy, it introduces a kind of "escape hatch". That might be
> considered "bad design" by some; it might not be by others. Seen this
> way, NT is one massive escape hatch, with pretty much everything being
> an object with a handle.
>
> But! Maybe this is nonetheless an interesting design avenue to
> explore. The introduction of pidfd is sort of just the "beginning" of
> that kind of design.

> [...]

A bunch of this was discussed in a breakout room during Linux Plumbers
last year and I also had discussions with Lennart about this a little
while ago.

One API I had proposed was to extend pidfd_open() to give you a
pidfd that does not yet refer to any process, i.e. instead of

int pidfd = pidfd_open(1234, 0);

you could do

int pidfd = pidfd_open(-1/-ESRCH, 0);

which would give you an empty process handle without any mentionable
properties.

A simple/dumb design would then be to let clone3() not just return
pidfds but also take pidfds as an argument. You could then hand-off the
pidfd to another process SCM_RIGHTS/pidfd_getfd() and have it create a
process for you with the privileges of the caller, you'd still be the
parent.

Or in addition to pidfd_open() we add new syscalls to configure a
process context pidfd_configure() or sm. This design I initially
proposed before we ended up with what we have now.

So yes, I would love to have at least the concept to create a process
for another process, delegated fork, essentially.

Christian