Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 01:27:32 -0700
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: Oscar Carter <oscar.carter@....com>
Cc: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Get involved in the KSPP

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 07:20:37PM +0200, Oscar Carter wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 09:15:18AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > One mostly mechanical bit of work would be this:
> > https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/20
> > There are likely more fixes needed to build the kernel with
> > -Wcast-function-type (especially on non-x86 kernels). So that would let
> > you learn about cross-compiling, etc.
> >
> > Let us know what you think!
>
> Great. This task seems good to me. I'm already working on it but I would like to
> know if it's correct to compile my work against the master branch of Linus tree
> or if there is some other better branch and tree.

For doing these kinds of things I tend to recommend either the last
full release from Linus (e.g. v5.6) or, if you want, the latest -rc2
(e.g. v5.7-rc2). Both are tagged, so you can based your tree on them
easily:

$ git clone ....
$ git checkout v5.7-rc2 -b devel/cast-function-type
$ *do stuff, etc*

--
Kees Cook