Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 12:39:30 -0400
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@...uxfoundation.org>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Looking for help testing patch attestation

Hello, all:

I'm reaching out to you because you're a security-oriented mailing list
and would likely be among the folks most interested in end-to-end
cryptographic patch attestation features -- or, at least, you're likely
to be least indifferent about it. :)

In brief:

- the mechanism I propose uses an external mailing list for attestation
  data, so list subscribers will see no changes to the mailing list
  traffic at all (no proliferation of pgp signatures, extra junky
  messages, etc)
- attestation can be submitted after the fact for patches/series that
  were already sent to the list, so a maintainer can ask for attestation
  to be provided post-fact before they apply the series to their git
  tree
- a single attestation document is generated per series (or, in fact,
  any collection of patches)

For technical details of the proposed scheme, please see the following
LWN article:
https://lwn.net/Articles/813646/

The proposal is still experimental and requires more real-life testing
before I feel comfortable inviting wider participation. This is why I am
approaching individual lists that are likely to show interest in this
idea.

If you are interested in participating, all you need to do is to install
the "b4" tool and start submitting and checking patch attestation.
Please see the following post for details:

https://people.kernel.org/monsieuricon/introducing-b4-and-patch-attestation

With any feedback, please email the tools@...ux.kernel.org list in order
to minimize off-topic conversations on this list.

Thanks in advance,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
The Linux Foundation