Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 15:10:05 -0700
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: Tianlin Li <tli@...italocean.com>
Cc: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Introduction and get involved

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:57:58AM -0500, Tianlin Li wrote:
> > On Sep 24, 2019, at 6:12 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org> wrote:
> > I've been keeping a (rather terse) TODO list here:
> > https://kernsec.org/wiki/index.php/Kernel_Self_Protection_Project/Work#Specific_TODO_Items
> >
> > But I'd like to turn that into an actual bug list on github or the like.

I've (slowly) started this process now:
https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/

> > I wonder if working on something like this:
> > - set_memory_*() needs __must_check and/or atomicity
> > would be interesting?
> >
> > The idea there is that set_memory_*() calls can fail, so callers should
> > likely be handling errors correctly. Adding the "__must_check" attribute
> > and fixing all the callers would be nice (and certainly touches the
> > memory management code!)
>
> This is a great starting task for me. So for this task, basically I need to add __must_check attribute to set_memory_*() functions and fix all the callers to make sure they check the return values. Do I understand correctly?

Yup, that's right. I've added that issue with some more details now:
https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/7

> Also I have some other questions:
> Is there any requirement for the patches? e.g. based on which kernel version? how many individual patches?

I recommend basing your patches on either the last full release (v5.3
currently) or, if you need something newer, on the -rc2 of the next
release (v5.4-rc2). We are, however, in the middle of the merge window,
so -rc2 doesn't exist yet. :)

The general details on submitting patches apply:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html

Feel free to post "RFC" patches here to this list first if you want some
initial feedback. (Though I recommend still including maintainers in Cc
to get their feedback too.)

--
Kees Cook