Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 13:44:06 -0400
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@...uxfoundation.org>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: "Hardened" tree on kernel.org?

Hi, all:

There's a lot of excellent work being done on this list and as part of
KSPP that enjoys limited exposure due to long and arduous upstreaming
process. I am wondering if some of the proposed changes would see wider
testing if there was a curated semi-official "hardened" tree hosted on
kernel.org that would carry kernel hardening patches proposed for
inclusion into mainline. There is at least one project that does
something like this:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git

though there's the distinction that, to my knowledge, RT is not intended
to be upstreamed.

I think wider testing and adoption would be easier if there was a place
for folks to download a "hardened Linux tarball" -- with the
understanding that it would include features that may or may not
eventually make it into mainline. I know it's a lot of work, and I'm
certainly not volunteering for it (I don't have the right set of skills
for this), but I believe there is a demand for such resource among
security enthusiasts and security-minded distros.

In a sense, this would shadow Greg's work -- taking the latest stable
tree and porting a hardening patchset on top of it. Maybe one of the LTS
trees, too?

Do you think this would be a worthwhile thing, or would that distract
from overall mainlining goals?

-K

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (229 bytes)