Date: Thu,  2 Aug 2018 15:21:29 +0200
From: Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: keescook@...omium.org,
	christoffer.dall@....com,
	will.deacon@....com,
	catalin.marinas@....com,
	mark.rutland@....com,
	labbott@...oraproject.org,
	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
	Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org>
Subject: [RFC/PoC PATCH 0/3] arm64: basic ROP mitigation

This is a proof of concept I cooked up, primarily to trigger a discussion
about whether there is a point to doing anything like this, and if there
is, what the pitfalls are. Also, while I am not aware of any similar
implementations, the idea is so simple that I would be surprised if nobody
else thought of the same thing way before I did.

The idea is that we can significantly limit the kernel's attack surface
for ROP based attacks by clearing the stack pointer's sign bit before
returning from a function, and setting it again right after proceeding
from the [expected] return address. This should make it much more difficult
to return to arbitrary gadgets, given that they rely on being chained to
the next via a return address popped off the stack, and this is difficult
when the stack pointer is invalid.

Of course, 4 additional instructions per function return is not exactly
for free, but they are just movs and adds, and leaf functions are
disregarded unless they allocate a stack frame (this comes for free
because simple_return insns are disregarded by the plugin)

Please shoot, preferably with better ideas ...

Ard Biesheuvel (3):
  arm64: use wrapper macro for bl/blx instructions from asm code
  gcc: plugins: add ROP shield plugin for arm64
  arm64: enable ROP protection by clearing SP bit #55 across function
    returns

 arch/Kconfig                                  |   4 +
 arch/arm64/Kconfig                            |  10 ++
 arch/arm64/include/asm/assembler.h            |  21 +++-
 arch/arm64/kernel/entry-ftrace.S              |   6 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S                     | 104 +++++++++-------
 arch/arm64/kernel/head.S                      |   4 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/probes/kprobes_trampoline.S |   2 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/sleep.S                     |   6 +-
 drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/Makefile         |   3 +-
 scripts/Makefile.gcc-plugins                  |   7 ++
 scripts/gcc-plugins/arm64_rop_shield_plugin.c | 116 ++++++++++++++++++
 create mode 100644 scripts/gcc-plugins/arm64_rop_shield_plugin.c

--
2.18.0