Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 00:38:04 -0500
From: "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavo@...eddedor.com>
To: "Tobin C. Harding" <tobin@...orbit.com>, Kees Cook
 <keescook@...omium.org>, Tycho Andersen <tycho@...ho.ws>
Cc: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: VLA commit log

On 03/12/2018 12:26 AM, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got some push back on the commit log we have all started to use
> (copying Kees' initial commit log).  If we are going to do hundreds of
> these patches should we write a perfectly correct commit log that can be
> included as the start of the 'why' of each VLA removal patch?  Here is
> my attempt, I am quite bad at writing commit logs so would love someone
> to fix it up.

The same thing happened to me once and then I wrote this:

In preparation to enabling -Wvla, remove VLA and replace it
with a fixed-length array instead.

 From a security viewpoint, the use of Variable Length Arrays can be
a vector for stack overflow attacks. Also, in general, as the code
evolves it is easy to lose track of how big a VLA can get. Thus, we
can end up having segfaults that are hard to debug.

Also, fixed as part of the directive to remove all VLAs from
the kernel: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/7/621

The maintainer lived happily ever after. :)

--
Gustavo