Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:31:34 -0800
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
Cc: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@...too.org>, Emese Revfy <re.emese@...il.com>,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>, Bruce Fields <bfields@...hat.com>,
	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>,
	Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@...mhuis.info>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: [nfsd4] potentially hardware breaking regression in 4.14-rc and 4.13.11

Boris Lukashev points out that Patrick should probably check a newer
version of gcc.

I looked around, and in one of the emails, Patrick said:

  "No changes, both the working and broken kernels were built with
   distro-provided gcc 5.4.0 and binutils 2.28.1"

and gcc-5.4.0 is certainly not very recent. It's not _ancient_, but
it's a bug-fix release to a pretty old branch that is not exactly new.

It would probably be good to check if the problems persist with gcc
6.x or 7.x.. I have no idea which gcc version the randstruct people
tend to use themselves.

               Linus