Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 17:11:23 -0800
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: Rasmus Villemoes <linux@...musvillemoes.dk>
Cc: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/6] some compile- and run-time format checking

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Rasmus Villemoes
<linux@...musvillemoes.dk> wrote:
> Consider these strictly RFC/POC.
>
> I tried resurrecting my format_template plugin from two years ago, and
> it rebased pretty cleanly. It also compiles with gcc 6.3, and has the
> expected effect when one tries to trigger it, so it seems to work ok
> (I think there was some build bot issue back then, maybe there still
> is).
>
> The last four patches are something I threw together rather quickly.
> They compile and the few test cases pass, but I obviously need to find
> some places to actually use fmtcheck() to see if it's worth adding.
>
> Rasmus Villemoes (6):
>   plugins: implement format_template attribute
>   compiler.h: add __format_template

Could you split these two off and send separately? This seems like a
fine thing to get in now. Probably the second patch should be split up
between adding __format_template, and additions of its usage. Do you
have any good ways to find and extract all the dynamic format strings
we need to mark?

>   compiler.h: add __attribute__((format_arg)) shorthand
>   lib/vsprintf.c: add fmtcheck utility
>   kernel.h: implement fmtmatch() wrapper around fmtcheck()
>   lib/test_printf.c: add a few fmtcheck() test cases

I like this approach a lot. Combined with checking if a format string
is in read-only memory, this could really close the door on format
string exposures.

Thanks!

-Kees

--