Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:58:24 +0000
From: "Roberts, William C" <william.c.roberts@...el.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>, Jordan Glover
Subject: RE: [RFC V2 0/6] add more kernel pointer filter

I can already see the hate filled irate response I'll get to this statement, thankfully I will
be away not caring.

The kernel proper is in a place where it can attempt to defend itself against stupidity, either in
tree or out of tree. Will it stop everything? Obviously not, like you said %x or disabling.

I agree with you 100% kptr restrict is odd, and I don't think anyone should have had to opt in to be
cleansed via kptr_restrict value via %pK. Opt-in never works. One nice thing now, is that checkpatch
has checking of %p usages and warns.

As far as broken things, I can't comment on desktop systems where I think it's harder to make that claim.
I see value in embedded systems where I am shipping the whole image, So I know when/what will
break.

If this was in-tree, Android would be setting this to 4 immediately FWIW.