Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 14:44:46 -0300
From: Joao Moreira <jmoreira@...e.de>
To: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
Cc: Li Kun <hw.likun@...wei.com>,
 "kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: [RFD] Is there any plan to port the RAP feature
 from PAX/Grsecurity to main line ?

On 08/09/2017 09:06 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Joao Moreira <jmoreira@...e.de> wrote:
>> hi, I'm Joao, I talk for kCFI :)
>
> Hi! Thanks for the reply!
>

>> On 08/04/2017 07:31 AM, Li Kun wrote:
>>>

>>> 在 2017/8/4 13:13, Kees Cook 写道:

>>> I will try to upstream it.
>>> If i have any progress or trouble, i will show it here:)

>> So, we wanted to have it released some time ago, but life happened and
>> unfortunately, I had to share my time between this and other projects.
>
> Is there anything specifically stopping release? Even getting
> something that is just "works only kernel version X.Y" would be
> excellent to have for people to examine.

We mostly search for false-positives dynamically. So we started running
some different workloads and we spotted some more cases of unmatching
prototypes (kCFI is a showed to be a great tool for dynamically hunting
these cases, so it might be useful in this sense too).

While the false-positives aren't that much complicated to fix, I'm
currently in the middle of many different work threads, so I have to
find time every now and then to work on these, and pack everything as a
proper release.

>> As you are speaking of "upstreamability", I see kCFI as an interesting
>> start-point, but it is blurry to believe that it would be mergeable into the
>> kernel. kCFI was/is a research project, willing to enable CFI
>> experimentation in the kernel space. It never was understood as a product.
>> Because of that, we took many decisions in the past that would benefit this
>> aspect of the work, instead of making it super maintainable or attachable.
>> Some of these decisions were: 1st, kCFI is implemented on top of LLVM; 2nd,
>> some of the most interesting features of kCFI require two compilation rounds
>> (and we didn't even care about it, because we were just trying to prove a
>> point in making achievable kernel CFI more fine-grained); 3rd, we never
>> ported it to newer kernel versions, instead we preferred to evaluate
>> different approaches and solutions in that very same code-base (Linux kernel
>> 3.19); 4th, kCFI requires many external tools (which perform binary
>> analyses, CFG fixes, etc).
>
> That's fine -- I never expect large changes to the kernel to land in
> one giant splash. Getting things into upstream in pieces tends to be
> much saner. Having something to work from means people can help chip
> away at the final goal.
>
>> Just to illustrate why we took these paths think about, for example, not
>> tagging all functions uniquely based on their prototype. I mean, if you have
>> a function FOO and a function BAR, both with the same prototype, but such
>> prototype never appears in a pointer declaration throughout source code, why
>> do you need them having the same tags? This would allow FOO returning to a
>> BAR's call-site, and BAR returning to a FOO's call-site. Yet, to know that
>> such function pointer does not exist, we had to run a full compilation round
>> before instrumenting, performing a source-code analysis.
>
> Yup, exactly. I like this feature. What's the right term for this?
> "Cluster splitting"?

That one fits :)

>> Given all the above I would say that someone interested in making CFI
>> upstream, should not get demotivated by kCFI.
>>
>>> That looks awsome. Does it have any schedule to release the code?
>>

>> No, we don't have a release schedule. Our current plans are to finish some
>> final tests that we are doing, run some more benchmarks/use-cases so we can
>> extend a bit our false-positive coverage, and then have it out as soon as
>> possible... but well, tbh, it may take some time.
>>
>> If someone wants to make CFI “upstreamable”, I'm in for helping in any way I
>> can. I would suggest that anyone willing to achieve it should first try to
>> implement a coarse-grained scheme, have it booting and running, and only
>> after that, think about the best way of organizing the tags so you
>> minimize/cease the false-positives.
>
> I'd love to not have to have people start from scratch (hint hint). :)

I'll try to finish whatever is open in my todo list and have it released
in the following weeks. Then, hopefully, we can keep up the pass with
some community assistance.

>> If there is anything I can do, I’m lvwr in ##kernel-hardened or, just reach
>> me through mail.
>
> (For anyone following the thread, Joao pointed out to me on IRC that
> the above was a typo. This should be ##linux-hardened on freenode.)

Indeed. ##linux-hardened. Sorry for the typo.

Tks,
Joao.