Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:21:38 +0800
From: Li Kun <hw.likun@...wei.com>
To: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
CC: "Wangkai (Morgan, Euler)" <morgan.wang@...wei.com>,
        <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: [kernel hardening]Could we do something for KSPP?

Hi

在 2017/6/23 0:51, Kees Cook 写道:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Li Kun <hw.likun@...wei.com> wrote:
>> Hi Kees,
>>
>> My name is Li Kun, from a new formed Huawei kernel security team.
> Hi! Thanks for the email. Feel free to email the
> kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com list to make a similar
> introduction.
>
>> My companion and me have been working on kernel and arm64 for sevral
>> years,but don't have much experiences in kernel security yet.
>>
>> We have studied Pax&Grsecurity for few months , and have seen that there is
>> much progress in KSPP recently.
>>
>> I'm wondering that if there is something we can do for KSPP? Maybe we can
>> implement the "vmalloc kernel stack for arm64" or
>>
>> "fast refcount overflow protection for arm64" or if you have some
>> suggestions ,please let me know.
> I think either of these would be great. Mark Rutland mentioned in
> private to me that AKASHI Takahiro had been working a bit on
> VMAP_STACK for arm64, but that they had issues with catching
> over/under-flows. Perhaps send an email to the public list with them
> CCed asking on the status and how you can help?
  Thank you for the information :)
  I will send another email to discuss this and see what can i do.
>> The vmapping itself is simple, and we don't need to do anything special
>> there. IIRC Takahiro-san had done some tests with HAVE_ARCH_VMAP_STACK,
>> and there weren't any obvious problems.
> As for refcount overflow protection, the starting point is likely the
> arm protection in the last public grsecurity patch, which is discussed
> here:
> https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4173#ARM
>
> For the refcount implementation, though, it'll likely need tweaking to
> be a _refcount_ protection rather than a generalized atomic_t
> protection, which is what grsecurity uses. Since upstream is splitting
> out refcount_t from atomic_t, we can actually be a little bit tighter
> in how the checks are performed.
I noticed that you have send a patch set of fast refcount overflow
protection as below.

http://kernel-hardening.openwall.narkive.com/qTKqEF4F/patch-v5-0-3-implement-fast-refcount-overflow-protection

I think it is nearing accomplishment if i haven't get it wrong. Maybe i
can do the job on arm64 based on your latest patch set?

Thank you very much!

--
Best Regards
Li Kun