Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 15:41:40 -0800
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: "Roberts, William C" <william.c.roberts@...el.com>
Cc: "kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: %pK continuation

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Roberts, William C
<william.c.roberts@...el.com> wrote:
> I haven't had time to really work on the continuation of:
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/kernel-hardening/2016/10/07/1
>
> I think the simple approach of killing %p based on kptr_restrict remains the simplest, IMHO best way to achieve a better level of
> preventing leaks of kernel addresses. In example of %pK going wrong can be found here:
>  https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2017/02/lifting-hyper-visor-bypassing-samsungs.html.

There's been some experimentation in Android kernels recently based on
your original version, though it's not quite ready for prime-time. I'm
hoping to see it posted to this list soon...

> Granted, the exploit author would have found another way to defeat KASL, I'd like to force their hand.

Always true, but better to keep raising the bar, I think. :)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Pixel Security