Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:12:41 -0800
From: Jessica Frazelle <me@...sfraz.com>
To: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
Cc: "kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Introduction

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017, 11:37 Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Jessica Frazelle <me@...sfraz.com> wrote:
> > I've been lurking on this mailing list for over a year now, so I think
> > I understand the gist of how it works. I am looking for some ways to
> > help out in my free time.
>
> Greetings! Thanks for saying "hi". :)
>
> > The subsystems I know the most about are cgroups and namespaces. I
> > previously was a maintainer of Docker (I added the seccomp integration
> > and maintained the AppArmor bits) and now I work on kubernetes.
> >
> > Let me know if you think there is a good place to start!
>
> I've mostly been trying to keep track of kernel self-protection TODO
> items, so I haven't been keeping too up to date on userspace-support
> things that the kernel provides. I know Solar has a list of things
> he'd like to see, and I know there was an earlier attempt at building
> an LSM to provide a more hardened chroot implementation (that Elena
> sent a version of last year).

I am familiar with the chroot LSM from GRSEC, I'm not sure if this
would help containers much mostly because we use pivot_root and a lot
of that functionality can be reproduced by either capabilities
dropping or seccomp. I'm guessing it has a use outside containers but
I'm not really sure what that may be other than ease of use of not
having to drop caps etc. I am more than willing to help make sure it
gets done in a way everyone wants if that's the case.

> Are there any gaps in existing cgroups/namespaces stuff that you'd
> like to see fixed? Or are there any areas of self-protection work that
> you find interesting and would want to learn more about?
>
> -Kees
>
> --
> Kees Cook
> Nexus Security

I would definitely like to help with some mechanisms that containers
and others could integrate to become more secure and I have some ideas
for this, but they are kind of a larger scale feature.

For now, I would love to help with whatever low hanging fruit no one
else wants to do but that might benefit some people. Then maybe once
I've been around the block enough times see if you all are interested
in something I have briefly thought of that maybe we could make
awesome together.

Honestly I'm open to working on whatever no one else wants too :)