Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:25:38 -0800
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To: Eric Biggers <ebiggers3@...il.com>
Cc: linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org,
	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, "linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
	Stephan Mueller <smueller@...onox.de>
Subject: Re: Remaining crypto API regressions with CONFIG_VMAP_STACK

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Eric Biggers <ebiggers3@...il.com> wrote:
> In the 4.9 kernel, virtually-mapped stacks will be supported and enabled by
> default on x86_64.  This has been exposing a number of problems in which
> on-stack buffers are being passed into the crypto API, which to support crypto
> accelerators operates on 'struct page' rather than on virtual memory.
>
> Some of these problems have already been fixed, but I was wondering how many
> problems remain, so I briefly looked through all the callers of sg_set_buf() and
> sg_init_one().  Overall I found quite a few remaining problems, detailed below.
>
> The following crypto drivers initialize a scatterlist to point into an
> ahash_request, which may have been allocated on the stack with
> AHASH_REQUEST_ON_STACK():
>
>         drivers/crypto/bfin_crc.c:351
>         drivers/crypto/qce/sha.c:299
>         drivers/crypto/sahara.c:973,988
>         drivers/crypto/talitos.c:1910

This are impossible or highly unlikely on x86.

>         drivers/crypto/ccp/ccp-crypto-aes-cmac.c:105,119,142
>         drivers/crypto/ccp/ccp-crypto-sha.c:95,109,124

These

>         drivers/crypto/qce/sha.c:325

This is impossible on x86.

> The following crypto drivers initialize a scatterlist to point into an
> ablkcipher_request, which may have been allocated on the stack with
> SKCIPHER_REQUEST_ON_STACK():
>
>         drivers/crypto/ccp/ccp-crypto-aes-xts.c:162
>         drivers/crypto/ccp/ccp-crypto-aes.c:94

These are real, and I wish I'd known about them sooner.

> And these other places do crypto operations on buffers clearly on the stack:
>
>         drivers/net/wireless/intersil/orinoco/mic.c:72

Ick.

>         drivers/usb/wusbcore/crypto.c:264

Well, crud.  I thought I had fixed this driver but I missed one case.
Will send a fix tomorrow.  But I'm still unconvinced that this
hardware ever shipped.

>         net/ceph/crypto.c:182

Ick.

>         net/rxrpc/rxkad.c:737,1000

Well, crud.  This was supposed to have been fixed in:

commit a263629da519b2064588377416e067727e2cbdf9