Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:35:15 +0000
From: "Reshetova, Elena" <elena.reshetova@...el.com>
To: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
CC: "kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com"
	<kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>, Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>, "will.deacon@....com"
	<will.deacon@....com>, Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>, Hans Liljestrand
	<ishkamiel@...il.com>, David Windsor <dwindsor@...il.com>, "aik@...abs.ru"
	<aik@...abs.ru>, "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>
Subject: RE: Conversion from atomic_t to refcount_t: summary of issues

So, could we agree on the following additions that are needed to refcount_t API:

- refcount_long_t and all related functions
- refcount_add(), refcount_sub(), refcount_sub_and_test()
- refcount_dec_return(), refcount_inc_return()
- refcount_dec_if_one()

With the above set we can hopefully convert almost everything we already saw and then we can decide what to do with remaining extreme cases.

Peter, if you would be able to send the new patch providing the above API, it would be great!
I am on vacation from tomorrow to December 7, but Hans will be finishing processing rest of the cases and he can also do remaining conversions given that we agree on additional API.
We can also provide the above API, but it is easier to maintain it in one place, so Peter if you keep updating your version, it is better that you send it out.

Best Regards,
Elena.