Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 09:39:54 -0700
From: "Leibowitz, Michael" <michael.leibowitz@...el.com>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Brad Spengler <spender@...ecurity.net>, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Emese Revfy <re.emese@...il.com>, PaX Team <pageexec@...email.hu>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] Add struct randomization plugin

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:40 AM, David Sterba <dave@...os.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 10:21:06AM -0700, Michael Leibowitz wrote:
>> This patch set ports over grsecurity's structure randomization
>> feature.  The plugin is largely unchanged from grsecurity, with some
>> porting to go over Emese Revfy's v7 patch set for gcc plugin
>> infrastructure.  This is an RFC.
>>
>> Although this set of changes does not directly make exploitation
>> harder, when a number of structures are randomized, it will make it
>> difficult to splat many relevant structures without knowing the exact
>> build of the kernel the target is using.  While for one structure,
>> there are limited number of guesses required, in aggregate, this can
>> be a large obstacle for exploitation.
>>
>> Patch 3 is a grab bag that probably needs to be broken up, although
>> I'm not sure of the best way to do so.  Breaking by subsystem would
>> seem to make an unwieldy patch set.
>>
>> Known TODO that is not addressed as part of this patch set:
>>   * tag security relevant structures for randomization
>>   * add checkpatch checking for non-C99 initialization
>>   * automated testing of randomization
>>   * better description and examples of exploits effectively mitigated
>>     by this feature
>>
>> Tagging of structures to be randomized will come in subsequent series
>> of patches.
>
> may I ask what's the status of this patchset? As 4.8 now contains the
> plugin infrastructure, which I really like to see happening, we could
> add the remaining plugins. I'm specifically interested in the struct
> layout randomization.

I'm afraid to say that it got stalled as life moved on.  I saw the 4.8
merge and I have renewed ambition.

> In your initial RFC, the patch 3/3 touches a lot of subsystems, which
> means potentially dealing with many maintainers. As the patch is a
> prerequsite for unmodified randstrcut plugin, I think this would stall
> the inclusion for a long time.
>
> The plugin detects "structs with function pointers only" and
> automatically adds the randomization. I suggest to start without this
> particular feature, and avoid dependency on patch 3/3.
>
> Only the explicit randomize_layout attributes would actually do
> something. That way the patches could be submitted separately, with it's
> own reasoning. See the grsecruity patch for examples.

This is an excellent idea.  I'm trying that out right now.

> This is not perfect compared to the full featured plugin but I think the
> proposed way is better than waiting until all issues from patch 3/3 are
> fixed.
>
> I'm willing to help and push things forward, but as you've submitted the
> patches I'm asking first.

Thanks for the push.  I'll give it another try and see if I can a
patch set out.  If I get diverted, though, I'll give you a holler.

Cheers

--
Michael Leibowitz