Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 20:29:37 -0400
From: David Windsor <dave@...gbits.org>
To: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: AKASHI Takahiro <takahiro.akashi@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Self introduction

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 11:53 PM, AKASHI Takahiro
> <takahiro.akashi@...aro.org> wrote:
> > Hi Kees and all,
>
> Hi! Sorry for not replying sooner -- this email seemed to strangely
> not make its way into the kernel-hardening list, even though it looks
> from the headers like you sent it there. Regardless, on to my late
> reply...
>
> > I'm looking for any tasks that I could contribute in
> > kernel-hardening areas. As I'm working for Linaro,
> > arm/arm64-related items (or arch-specific implementation
> > of more generic features) would be better fitted, but I'm
> > open to broader topics, including complementary tasks
> > for other guys.
>
> Awesome! Yeah, it'll be great to have you helping. Are there any areas
> you especially enjoy working on?
>
> > Do you have any suggestions about such items for me
> > to start small (or can be even big :) with?
>
> I think a great area would be looking at arm and arm64 support for
> catching atomic_t wrap-around. This kind of protection would have
> stopped many of the public attacks from last year, since accidents
> with refcounting on atomic_t tend to be a precursor to use-after-free
> vulnerabilities.
>
> This idea has been implemented in PaX/Grsecurity for a while now as
> PAX_REFCOUNT. An earlier effort to extract it was started but he ran
> out of time to work on it.

Sorry about not communicating better about this.  I started working on v3
(porting to linux-next) a few days ago and have the code moved, but still
have to work through a few compile issues.

If you're interested in helping, take a look:

https://github.com/dwindsor/linux-next/tree/strict-refcount-v3

I'll continue working through this, but help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Content of type "text/html" skipped