Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:29:17 -0700
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc: LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
	Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>, Sargun Dhillon <sargun@...gun.me>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>, "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"open list:CONTROL GROUP (CGROUP)" <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>, Mickaël Salaün <mic@...ikod.net>,
	Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>,
	"kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com" <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>,
	Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 09/10] landlock: Handle cgroups (performance)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 02:45:14PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>>
>> One might argue that landlock shouldn't be tied to seccomp (in theory,
>> attached progs could be given access to syscall_get_xyz()), but I
>
> proposed lsm is way more powerful than syscall_get_xyz.
> no need to dumb it down.

I think you're misunderstanding me.

Mickaël's code allows one to make the LSM hook filters depend on the
syscall using SECCOMP_RET_LANDLOCK.  I'm suggesting that a similar
effect could be achieved by allowing the eBPF LSM hook to call
syscall_get_xyz() if it wants to.

>> think that the seccomp attachment mechanism is the right way to
>> install unprivileged filters.  It handles the no_new_privs stuff, it
>> allows TSYNC, it's totally independent of systemwide policy, etc.
>>
>> Trying to use cgroups or similar for this is going to be much nastier.
>> Some tighter sandboxes (Sandstorm, etc) aren't even going to dream of
>> putting cgroupfs in their containers, so requiring cgroups or similar
>> would be a mess for that type of application.
>
> I don't see why it is a 'mess'. cgroups are already used by majority
> of the systems, so I don't see why requiring a cgroup is such a big deal.

Requiring cgroup to be configured in isn't a big deal.  Requiring

> But let's say we don't do them. How implementation is going to look like
> for task based hierarchy? Note that we need an array of bpf_prog pointers.
> One for each lsm hook. Where this array is going to be stored?
> We cannot put in task_struct, since it's too large. Cannot put it
> into 'struct seccomp' directly either, unless it will become a pointer.
> Is that the proposal?

It would go in struct seccomp_filter or in something pointed to from there.

> So now we will be wasting extra 1kbyte of memory per task. Not great.
> We'd want to optimize it by sharing this such struct seccomp with prog array
> across threads of the same task? Or dynimically allocating it when
> landlock is in use? May sound nice, but how to account for that kernel
> memory? I guess also solvable by charging memlock.
> With cgroup based approach we don't need to worry about all that.

The considerations are essentially identical either way.

With cgroups, if you want to share the memory between multiple
separate sandboxes (Firejail instances, Sandstorm grains, Chromium
instances, xdg-apps, etc), you'd need to get them to all coordinate to
share a cgroup.  With a seccomp-like interface, you'd need to get them
to coordinate to share an installed layer (using my FD idea or
similar).

There would *not* be any duplication of this memory just because a
sandboxed process called fork().

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski