Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:21:11 +0200
From: Mickaël Salaün <mic@...ikod.net>
To: linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org
Cc: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruenba@...hat.com>,
 Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>, Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
 Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>,
 Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>, David Drysdale
 <drysdale@...gle.com>, Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>,
 James Morris <james.l.morris@...cle.com>, Jeff Dike <jdike@...toit.com>,
 Julien Tinnes <jln@...gle.com>, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
 Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@...il.com>, Paul Moore <pmoore@...hat.com>,
 Richard Weinberger <richard@....at>, "Serge E . Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>,
 Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>,
 Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.SAKURA.ne.jp>,
 Will Drewry <wad@...omium.org>, linux-api@...r.kernel.org,
 kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v1 00/17] seccomp-object: From attack surface reduction to
 sandboxing

Hi,

Does anyone had time to review some patches?

What do you think about the ToCToU workarounds?
What about the userland API?

The series can be found here: https://github.com/l0kod/linux/commits/seccomp-object-v1

 Mickaël

On 24/03/2016 02:46, Mickaël Salaün wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This series is a proof of concept (not ready for production) to extend seccomp
> with the ability to check argument pointers of syscalls as kernel object (e.g.
> file path). This add a needed feature to create a full sandbox managed by
> userland like the Seatbelt/XNU Sandbox or the OpenBSD Pledge. It was initially
> inspired from a partial seccomp-LSM prototype [1] but has evolved a lot since :)
>
> The audience for this RFC is limited to security-related actors to discuss
> about this new feature before enlarging the scope to a wider audience. This
> aims to focus on the security goal, usability and architecture before entering
> into the gory details of each subsystem. I also wish to get constructive
> criticisms about the userland API and intrusiveness of the code (and what could
> be the other ways to do it better) before going further (and addressing the
> TODO and FIXME in the code).
>
> The approach taken is to add the minimum amount of code while still allowing
> the userland to create access rules via seccomp. The current limitation of
> seccomp is to get raw syscall arguments value but there is no way to
> dereference a pointer to check its content (e.g. the first argument of the open
> syscall). This seccomp evolution brings a generic way to check against argument
> pointer regardless from the syscall unlike current LSMs.
>
> Here is the use case scenario:
> * First, a process must load some groups of seccomp checkers. This checkers are
>   dedicated structs describing a pointed data (e.g. path). They are
>   semantically grouped to be efficiently managed and checked in batch. Each
>   group have a static ID. This IDs are unique and they reference groups only
>   accessible from the filters created by the same process.
> * The loaded checkers are inherited and accessible by the newly created
>   filters. This groups can be referenced by filters with a new return value
>   SECCOMP_RET_ARGEVAL. Value in  SECCOMP_RET_DATA contains a group ID and an
>   argument bitmask. This return value is only meaningful between stacked
>   filters to ask a check and get the result in the extended struct
>   seccomp_data. The new fields are "is_valid_syscall", "arg_group" containing a
>   group ID and "matches[6]" consisting of one 64-bits mask per argument. This
>   bitmasks are useful to get the check result of each checker from a group on a
>   syscall argument which is handy to create a custom access control engine from
>   userland.
> * SECCOMP_RET_ARGEVAL is equivalent to SECCOMP_RET_ACCESS except that the
>   following filters can take a decision regarding a match (e.g. return EACCESS
>   or emulate the syscall).
>
> Each checker is autonomous and new ones can easily be added in the future.
> There is currently two checkers for path objects:
> * SECCOMP_CHECK_FS_LITERAL checks if a string match a defined path;
> * SECCOMP_CHECK_FS_BENEATH checks if the path representation of a string is
> [...]

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (456 bytes)